2/6/13

I started out 2013 with a promise to myself to perform a little less in an attempt to make more time for research, practice, writing, composing and grant writing. It sounds like a simple thing, but it was a difficult and challenging decision. I love playing music, so saying no to performance opportunities is very unnatural.

I have a lot of big plans for 2013 and 2014, so i need to make room for it all, right?

Check it: I'm planning on serious work towards a new solo record, which will be all acoustic - a departure from my last two records. I don't want to give it all away, but it is going to be massive in scope. I'm excited. I also plan to record my group Green and Gold, which performs the music of Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons. We haven't played a ton, but the few shows we have were super fun. Also on my plate is a recording of my 13 piece group, ¡Todos de Pie!, which plays Puerto Rican Bomba and Plena music that is abstracted by my musical influences, from punk rock to jazz. I have a lot of work to do to mix that record, and I plan on getting it mixed by the spring so I can get that music out there.

Did I mention that my group, Cicada Music, will be releasing it's first record on Delmark Records this spring? I'm super excited about this. This will mark my first official release as a leader. April 16th.

Besides the regular work and performances that keep me running around Chicago, I am looking forward to a collaboration with Shawn Decker, who has created a beautiful sound installation, Prairie, of which I will be performing 'duo' with on March 16th at the Chicago Cultural Center. I must mention that Kate Dumbleton was integral in making this collaboration happen. Big thanks to kate!


I played a few gigs this winter that are on youtube that i haven't put up on my website, including this duo performance with Thurston Moore:


and this one of the group, Frankenstein, featuring the amazing Jason Stein: