5/6/14

I'm excited to give y'all an update on a number of things on my plate. This spring has been a dizzying one, to be sure. I have never recorded so much in such a short time in my life. Check it:

- Bobby Bradford/Frode Gjerstad/Ingebrigt Haker Flaten/FR
- Tony Malaby, Jason Roebke and I recorded a studio thing and a live performance at Constellation in Chicago.
- Health&Beauty spent several days in the studio with engineer wizard-at-work Theo Karon. It's going to be the best sounding record I've been on. Psyched.
-  My 11 piece Puerto Rican Bomba/Plena group, ¡Todos De Pie!, recorded at Electrical Audio a few years back but it has taken til just recently to finish mixing the thing! Thanks to Matthew Lux for his incredible, sublte insight as a producer. He's not only one of the best musicians I know, but his taste is beyond refined.
- Gifted singer/songwriter Steve Dawson wrote a bunch of killer tunes for his group, Funeral Bonzai Wedding (with Jason Adasiewicz, Jason Roebke and myself) and we recently finished recording the bulk of the material at Kingsize in Chicago, with John Abbey at the helm. Great room, great tunes. I'm so excited about what the final product is going to sound like. 
- A relatively new band, Loris, featuring James Davis, Tim Stine, Jeff Greene and myself recorded a series of concerts at the Uncanned Music Series at Bar Deville. We're sifting through the material now. electro-acoustic freak out!
- Pandelis Karayorgis visited Chicago recently where he reconvened his group with Keefe Jackson, Dave Rempis, Nathan McBride and myself to try out some new music freshly written for the band. We recorded our show at Constellation. He's an amazing composer- I hope this stuff sees the light!
- The Nick Mazzarella Trio (with Anton Hatwich and myself) recorded a live show at Constellation where we stretched on newish material. The concert was super alive and refreshingly broad in scope.
- Shitty Sons, a duo with Tim Haldeman, got a rare chance to spend some time in the studio. Because he lives in Ann Arbor, we don't get to bro down like we'd like. We're hoping to record even more material so we can drop that 6 LP boxset on the public. We'll probably narrow it down to one.
- Swiss reedist Christoph Erb was in the U.S., and though he was busy with a tour and other gigs, he was able to make time to record at ESS with pianist/ARP 2600 master Jim Baker and myself.
- Starting next week I'll be collaborating with star man Ryley Walker in the studio along side Health&Beauty compatriots Brian Sulpizio and Ben Boye, as well as Mr. Anton Hatwich.

There have been several new releases that have been released this winter and spring, including Dave McDonnell's The Dragon and the Griffin, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten's The Young Mothers, IƱigo Ugarteburu's For the Unknown, Jason Roebke's Combination, and a compilation Working Hard To Make Your Life Easier!